Wednesday 21 October 2009

All change on the weather front

For the latter part of September and the first half of this month the weather has been very benign in my area, some compensation for the dampness of the past summer, but now it's taken a turn for the worse. Low pressure has taken over from the friendly 'high' and yesterday morning we experienced the first significant amount of rain for several weeks. Added to that the wind is a lot brisker. Having said that there is some blue sky out there as I type with a few fitful glimpses of the sun so it could be very much worse.

Just to illustrate how incredibly variable our weather is it was interesting to hear the reports on Radio Devon this morning from their volunteer weather watchers of the amount of precipitation collected in their rain gauges yesterday. Up in North Devon it was 37 mm I think which equates to about one and a half inches in old money. However in the South Hams an almost negligible 2mm was noted. I would say that here we were between these two extremes.

Just a couple of months now to the shortest day of the year. So it's long dark evenings, Halloween and fireworks to look forward to. Or not. I can't enthuse about any of the aforementioned I'm afraid. Nor the commercial splurge of Christmas. But I have a thousand and one things to be thankful for in my life so I don't dwell on the things that aren't to my taste.

No comments: