Monday 14 April 2008

Napoli Inquiry Chairman named

Toward the end of January I had written about the upcoming inquiry about lessons to be learnt from the events emanating from the deliberate beaching of the MSC Napoli off Branscombe. In that piece I had mentioned the name of Ian Mercer who is well respected and had competently chaired another Devon County Council inquiry following the dreadful foot and mouth outbreak of 2001. The good news is that Professor Ian Mercer CBE has been appointed now to oversee the Napoli inquiry. Also good to know that both Dorset County Council and East Devon District Council are keen to see this inquiry go ahead.

Although well aware of Ian's long career relating to conservation and environmental issues and his association with Devon I had forgotten that he had previously been in the navy. He seems to tick all the right boxes. No news yet as to when the inquiry proper will get underway but as soon as I know I shall put it on this blog.

No comments: