Tuesday 5 May 2009

Record turnout for Gig Championship

There were I understand good challenging conditions for the hard fought World Gig Rowing Championships on the Isles of Scilly this past weekend. Now in its twentieth year this contest gets ever more popular with 2009 seeing no less than 119 gigs taking part. The nearest boat to my home competing was 'Zeus' from the Calstock Club but at the end of the day it was the entry from Par Bay that won the men's event whilst the ladies from The Roseland club were first home for the women.

This is fantastic for the economy of the Scillies of course - I believe that the resident population pretty well doubles for this weekend. I've never been into rowing myself but can nevertheless see the attraction of the sport. Well done to the Isles of Scilly for hosting this competition once again.

No comments: