Tuesday 11 December 2007

Calstock concert pleases

Last Saturday evening saw a pause in what was otherwise a very stormy weekend. Three friends and yours truly went off to a pre-booked concert at the old chapel in Calstock, the home of 'Peterloo Poets'. 'The Calstock Singers' and 'Under the Fingers' presented a programme described as "Mulled Music for a Winter's Evening". A very pleasant evening's entertainment it turned out to be. There were no less than 14 items in each half of the concert with it's fair to say something to please everyone. As happened in a similar event much earlier this year there was a very varied menu of music, song and poetry.

One of the busiest performers was Pauline who not only is the Musical Director for the Calstock Singers but plays Cello for 'Under the Fingers'. The other members of the group were Rosie (recorders and guitar - I swear she can pick up any instrument and play it), Liz (guitar) and Jenny (harp). Another instrumentalist taking part was Nicola who I was pleased to see playing 'Tamar Broom Dance' on her xylophone. This is a wonderfully simple uncluttered tune composed by Rosie that one never tires of hearing. Excellent though the Calstock Singers are I do have a slight leaning toward purely instrumental music, a bias inherited from my late father I think. The playing of Beethoven's Minuet in G was a special highlight.

The repertoire of The Calstock Singers is nothing if not varied and in truth one or two of their songs did absolutely nothing for me - no reflection on the quality of the singing I hasten to add, it was just the songs I didn't like. On the plus side there were a number of old favourites to enjoy: 'My Grandfather's Clock' and 'Little Brown Jug' were just two examples. And although I've heard 'Silent Night' so often before I don't think I've ever appreciated it so much as on this occasion.

There was a chance afterwards to thank one or two of the performers and what really came over in their replies was just how much they really really enjoyed what they did. And if all this wasn't enough the £4 ticket included a generous glass of mulled wine and a mince pie. I should have mentioned too that almost every seat was taken.

Well done one and all for yet another sparkling evening.

No comments: