Monday 16 June 2008

Dream of 'Scilly Boys' ends in capsize

Four men from the Isles of Scilly, who came to be known as 'The Scilly Boys', have seen the end of their heroic bid to row across the Atlantic from west to east when their 29 foot long boat capsized. I am pleased to say that Chris Jenkins, Tim Garratt, Wayne Davey and Joby Newton have been rescued and are fine. They were raising money for I think four different charities and this poses a question in my mind: it was a very long way short of the halfway mark that the unfortunate mishap occurred, so will people pay out their sponsor money particularly if it's in respect of the whole journey rather than so much a mile as it were. My guess is that most will.

I respect people who want to pursue these mad challenges for worthy causes. It's so sad for the participants when things go awry.

No comments: