Thursday 23 August 2007

Golden Rod now a blaze of yellow

Through self seeding my garden has accumulated a large number of Golden Rod flowers, so much so that there seems little room for other species to grow. There is even a large stand of them on my patio where the seeds have spilled into the joints between the slabs! When in flower they are a huge attraction to small bees and hoverflies so I am loathe to thin them out. A near neighbour now has a few of my plants in her garden - maybe I'll see if I can dispose of some more in that sort of way.

Apart from the absolute pleasure of seeing wildlife in the garden I also feel that in a very small way I'm doing something for the benefit of nature. I certainly wouldn't wish to see my garden full of exotic blooms that had no benefit for the indigenous wildlife.

No comments: