Monday 24 March 2008

A couple of good Labour MPs

It might be thought from my last two entries on this blog that I can't find anything good to say about any Labour MPs. So let me redress the balance. In this past month there have been a couple of interesting divisions in the House of Commons and in each case we have seen a number of Labour MPs voting against the government line. The first of these was regarding the lack of a referendum on the 'Lisbon Treaty' whilst the other was a Tory motion concerning the impending Post Office closures. Two of the Labour rebels risking the wrath of their party in each of these votes were Frank Field and Kate Hoey. I have a lot of time for both these two MPs who strike me as people of principle and with a good measure of common sense. So many MPs can best be described as "lobby fodder" I'm afraid, just sheepishly following the party line.

If I lived in Birkenhead or Vauxhall I would be sorely tempted to vote for Mr Field or Ms Hoey because of the people they are rather than the party label to which they are attached.

No comments: