Thursday 15 February 2007

Problem solving on The Isles of Scilly

On the last few Mondays I have been making a point of watching the programme 'An Island Parish'. Following on from the successful Seaside Parish looking at Cornwall's Boscastle area this latest series loosely based around the arrival of a new priest to the Isles of Scilly has made rewarding viewing.

Following a now well established format we follow the trials and tribulations of a variety of characters. So in addition to Father Guy, the new chaplain on the islands, we have seen a fisherman, a farmer, the new vet and the pretty young policewoman who has returned to the mainland. This sort of programme is very illuminating in showing up many of the problems that island life brings. I imagine that much of it resonates with other islanders such as those living in The Hebrides. It always intrigues me how people can carry on in a natural way with a cameraman lurking nearby; I don't know whether I could.

I have to admit that I have yet to visit Scilly but it is on my wish list.

No comments: