Monday 5 February 2007

Woodpeckers drumming

Yesterday I blogged about a delightful walk in the Mount Edgcumbe Country Park. One of the bonuses was hearing a greater spotted woodpecker drumming. We edged closer to the sound but unfortunately some other walkers came along and they were talking quite loudly, enough to cause the woodpecker to depart from the scene. At least we did see him very briefly as he flew off. It is interesting I find to observe how some walkers, particularly in a sizeable walking group, feel that they must talk at all times! I have enjoyed the companionship of a group on occasion but if you are passionate about nature lots of small talk can be frustrating when you just want to absorb the moment.

Drumming woodpeckers have been a noticeable feature in the woods across the valley from my home in the last few years. During the past few days I have heard one 2 or 3 times, but for very short spells. I anticipate that the drumming will increase in duration and intensity in the weeks to come.

No comments: