Monday 5 January 2009

No snow here yet

Well it might have snowed a bit over other parts of Britain today but as to the Tamar Valley not a flake in sight. In fact I spent a useful half an hour after lunch pulling up some of the brambles that are in residence at the bottom of the garden. In the southwest we seem to have had the least cold temperatures of late with occasional glimpses of sunlight. I have to say that I would enjoy seeing snow for a day (now I don't have to commute), there's something compelling about the eerie silence that goes with snowfall. We are in a deep, narrow valley here and on those very rare occasions when it does snow the appearance of the hillsides is quite stunning particularly when sunshine follows the snow.

Notwithstanding this cold snap the Met Office in Exeter are predicting a warm year ahead. This is being put down to the phenomenon known as 'La Nina' being less strong than in the last few years. I have to say at this juncture that my faith in the Met Office looking at a 12 month time span really isn't any greater than my belief in the forecasts coming from maverick Piers Corbyn who I have had reason to criticise in the past. As someone who enjoys a degree of warmth I hope that the Met Office have got it right.

We are told that it is likely to be the coldest night so far tonight. But with dry air here at least and little wind to add to the chill I'm finding the weather quite acceptable in this neck of the woods.

1 comment:

BF said...

"I have to say at this juncture that my faith in the Met Office looking at a 12 month time span really isn't any greater than my belief in the forecasts coming from maverick Piers Corbyn who I have had reason to criticise in the past. "

Your position is illogical and makes no sense. It really is no contest between the Met Office and Weatheraction. The Met office show no skill whatsoever with their weather predictions while Weatheraction consistently show significant skill with theirs.

For example:

ANOTHER BULLS-EYE for WeatherAction Extreme events forecast

The massive ice, freezing rain and snow deluges which hit the North & NorthEast USA around 6-8 Jan 2009 and the South Indian Ocean tropical cyclone now building (8 Jan) were both forecast to the day in the WeatherAction public video of 19 December.

Video: http://vimeo. com/2736721"http://vimeo. com/2736721