Sunday 28 January 2007

Can vegetarians be cat lovers?

There has been no particular happening in my life to trigger this post, it is just one of those thoughts that have crossed my mind for no good reason.

I must admit to being a carnivore. Having said that I also enjoy vegetarian food and have every respect for anyone who is a vegetarian, or a vegan for that matter. For the purpose of my argument I'm thinking of those folk who are vegetarian on moral grounds rather than from any health worries through eating meat.

On occasion I have fed a neighbour's cat when they have been away. I should explain that these neighbours are meat eaters. The sachets of food include such goodies as beef, chicken, liver, rabbit and poultry. If you are a vegetarian with a pet dog or cat how do you square your conscience when the food they are eating has come from an animal killed in an abattoir? I wonder if many folk have pondered that question!

No comments: