Monday 1 January 2007

Happy New Year

Happy New Year! We say this automatically every new year don't we. I would prefer to say "I wish you all the best in health and happiness for the rest of your life!" The reason I say this is because I find all the new years eve/day shenanigans leave me distinctly underwhelmed: I am almost a bah humbug person I suppose - perhaps I should audition for that excellent tv programme "Grumpy Old Men".

Unlike the winter and summer solstices the last day of the year is an entirely artificial construct and really has no significance for me over and above other days of the year. I have to admit that I'm not really that much of a party person and don't join in the celebrations. There were plenty of fireworks let off in the village at midnight and after (and in the time leading up to the magic hour for those who couldn't wait). I find this activity quite bizarre.

However I prefer to state some positives in my posts! So I could see on today's BBC news that the fireworks display held in the Capital in the area of "The London Eye" were spectacular and would have been worth watching. Stormy weather put a stop to some of the activities in Scotland and the north of England though. As usual pub and hotel owners in Devon and Cornwall had something to smile about: the usual hotspots like Bideford and Newquay, Looe and Dartmouth being popular with revellers and the fancy dress brigade. It is always pleasing to see people having a good time provided they are not upsetting others in the process.

But as for me it's not my cup of tea, or pint of St Austell ale for that matter.

No comments: